World’s Tallest Statue – Sardar Patel’s Statue of Unity Inaugurated
The World’s tallest Statue is going to be unveiled on 31-10-2018 in India. A monument which is dedicated to a Freedom fighter who is known by various names like Bismarck of India, The Iron Man of India Etc. The Steel and Bronze statue is named the Statue of Unity as it is named against the Country’s first deputy Prime Minister – Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who played a distinguished role in the Country’s freedom Struggle and strived to work for a United and Independent Nation.
Prior to the inauguration of the Statue of Unity, the world’s largest statue was the Spring Temple Buddha depicting the statute of Buddha in Henan, China with a height of 128 meters (420 ft). After the inauguration of the Statue of Unity in Gujarat, India by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, the Statue of Unity is going to be the World’s Largest Statute with a height of 182 meters (597 feet).
Some Quick Facts about the Statue of Unity:
- Initially, the project was announced on 7 October 2013. The Foundation stone of the Statue of Unity was laid on 31 October 2013 on the 138th Birth Anniversary of Vallabhbhai Patel.
- The Statue is constructed on the Banks of Narmada river representing the Iron man of India and the first Deputy Prime Minister of India Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Construction materials for the Statue include Steel, Concrete and Bronze. Approximately, 75,000 cubic meters of Concrete, 24,500 tonnes of steel and 22,500 tonnes of bronze went into the construction.
- The monument was designed by Ram Vanji Sutar
- On 27th October 2014, Larsen and Toubro (Indian Company) got the Contract with a bid of Rs.2989 Crores for the entire Project. It also associated with other companies like Turner Construction, Michael Graves and Associates for the project support.
- SVPRET – Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust was established for the Completion of the project.
- It was held by the government that the iron need for the construction of the statue was to be collected from the farmers of villages throughout the Country as a donation and so the drive was symbolically called ‘Statute of Unity Movement’
Heights of Notable Tallest Statues in the World:
- Statue of Unity – India – 240 meters
- Spring Temple Buddha – China – 153 meters
- Ushiku Daibutsu – Japan – 120 meters
- Statue of Liberty – USA – 93 meters
- The Motherland Calls – Russia – 87 meters
- Christ the Redeemer – Brazil – 38 meters